Saturday, April 11, 2009

update...

So i have not been blogging for a while...i am not sure why! maybe it is because i have been very involved with my catalog and i haven't had the time to do so. however, here is a bit of a recap on my progress...

i started with a very simple grid, but my mistake was that i didn't position it on the page properly and left too much flexibility as to where it would be placed. this meant that i was unintentionally breaking the grid.








i was also focusing too much on aesthetics rather than on the system itself.





so i had to refocus, and think about what my main aim was. and that was to create a system, using a grid. so i stuck to that and decided to think about aesthetics later.
i made a new InDesign document and started again. i did however keep the format of the 3 small squares and the larger rectangle, as i thought it would work well for my content.

so i created master pages and used a more definite grid, keeping areas of the page completely off limits. it also helped for me to make a set of rules which i stuck to during the beginning stage, but then broke later on (only some of them!).





i then made my grid more detailed, based on my squares and rectangle composition.
having a grid like the one above made it far easier to be experimental because the space offered many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment